This historic and the oldest of Church of Johor Bahru was built in the year or 1927 by the late Rev. Fr. C. Saleilles, M. AP. The Original Church was built in the year 1883 and was named as the “Our Lady of Lourdes”.
CIC JB is an active centre of Catholic life and prayer in the heart of Johor Bahru City. The Roman Catholic priests continue their tradition of preaching, personal instruction, sacramental life and pastoral care extending well beyond the geographical boundaries of Johor Bahru.
Rev Fr. Saleilles: The beginnings saw the establishment of Johor as an outstation of Serangoon in 1881. Rev. Fr. Saleilles came to administer to the needs of the catholic families by boat. He was generous to the poor
OUR LADY OF LOURDES
Some time later, a piece of land was graciously given by His Highness Sultan Abu Bakar and in 1883, the little church of Our Lady of Lourdes was inaugurated. This building (see picture 1 above) was later used a funeral parlour.
The present Church of the Immaculate Conception was built by Rev. Fr. M Duvelle, and blessed by Bishop Barillon at the end of 1921, when there was only a wooden bridge linking Johor and Singapore.