Pineapple tart is a rich and buttery pastry filled with pineapple jam. It is a very popular “festive cookies”, especially in Singapore and Malaysia. The filling is made from fresh pineapple mixed with sugar and cinnamon (or other spices), cooked and reduced until caramelized.
Pineapple Filling Ingredients:
- 1kg fresh pineapple (about 2 fresh pineapples)
- 300g sugar
- Pinch of salt
- ½ cinnamon stick (about 2g)
- 125g butter (room temperature)
- 20g icing sugar
- 1 egg
- 200g plain flour
- 20g cornflour
- 1tbsp milk powder
- ½ tbsp custard powder
- Egg wash: 1 egg + 1tbsp water, whisk well and strain through a sieve
- Pineapple Filling: Cut fresh pineapples into small cubes, then process in a food processor, mix in sugar, salt, and cinnamon. Cook over, medium heat, keep stirring until the mixture has thickened and turned golden brown with all moisture dry out. The filling can be prepared in advance and keep refrigerated up to a month.
- Mix butter and icing sugar beat over medium speed until light and fluffy.
- Mix in all dry ingredients until a dough is formed, cover and keep refrigerated for 1 hour.
- Shape about 6g of pineapple filling into an elongated roll.
- Place a small piece of dough into a Nastar mold, press into strips with pattern upside down, about 2 inches long each.
- Roll to enclose a pineapple filling.
- Brush with egg wash, bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes at 180°
- Allow it to completely cool and store in an airtight container.